4.13.2008

Dance and choreography with technology!

I actually thought that I was bored of this topic and had nothing else I cared to write about. I thought that dance reality TV was shamefully oversaturating and cheapening the dance market. I thought that dance agencies hadn't changed since last time I wrote about them. I thought I didn't need to talk yet again about how exciting the prospect of 3D live action movies are for the dance industry. I thought I talked enough about dance content on the internet with the rise of YouTube an my mentioning a couple social networking sites.

I thought wrong.

After darting around on the internet for the past coup
le hours (and finding some very interesting dance articles, blogs, and other content...), I FINALLY found something that encouraged me into thinking that at least a certain part of the dance world is utilizing available technology.

It's called DanceForms 1.0 and it's a computer software program that allows choreographers to use software animation to choreograph, review, teach, and store their creative process. I stumbled upon it after googling "motion capture dance," which referred me to Merce Cunningham Dance Company's website (Merce is a very impressive, well-known choreographer, so once I saw that Merce uses the software I was interested)...
Take a look at the animation company's website: Credo Interactive Inc. and their site further explaining the product: DanceForms. Here is a quick screen shot to give you a glimpse of what the software is like:
 










This really sparked my interest. Before stumbling upon this program I was considering blogging about motion capture technology and my experience in a motion capture lab at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering with world renowned choreographer, Mark Morris, but dreaded the dullness of that topic. The reason I thought motion capture was dull was because my experience with motion capture was for use of performance enhancement where my motion capture dancing was shown during a solo performance of mine last spring at a USC School of Theater show. I felt it took away from my dancing instead of adding to it.

Anyways... Seeing this software, DanceForms, I'm really impressed with how Credo Interactives Inc. has used motion capture and applied it to teaching, recording, and suggesting choreographic movement. I'd really like to order it-- ooo, 20 day trial! Yes. :-) Then if I like it maybe I can somehow work it into my "books" budget for next semester.... hmmmm...

So here are a few other sites I discovered that may be of interest or relevant:
-TenduTV= New dance video online distribution site launching summer '08 (like YouTube, but just for dancers)... they also have a Facebook "fan" page for their updates.
-The (inter)Mission and Movmnt.net= Two social networking sites geared for dancers. The (inter)Mission was created by a New York City ballet dancer, Kristin Sloan, and is more East coast/ballet/musical theater, whereas Movmnt is a social networking site that was co-created by publisher David Benaym and Danny Tidwell, a So You Think You Can Dance finalist who sides more with LA and popular culture.
-The Winger, which is the parent website of The (inter)Mission and is a "community oriented dance website that shows the lives, insights, and personalities of professionals, students, experts, and pioneers in the dance world."
-Dance Blogathon! :in case you're interested :-)

Next time I'll research some more and expand on TenduTV... Do you think this could be cool? Will anyone go there instead of YouTube? Will this be used more as an added revenue stream or as a distribution channel?

4 comments:

David B. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cmturner15 said...

I assume that when you did the motion capture for last Spring's performance, the Virterbi kids put the motion capture sensors at key points on your body and it showed upon the screen -

Beyond the coolness of this technology, you mentioned that it took away from you actual dance (I assume you mean that the image took away from what was actually happening on stage). In regards to this comment, what is the usefulness of this technology when someone (I assume) would learn more from witnessing a live video of this very dance versus seeing stick figures/terribly rendered 3D dancers? Is it that the viewer can do a 3D view of the dance/move -- perhaps zoom in and out and really get to see the arch of legs and the movement happening on stage?

I think its cool that they can use this technology for dancers, but in your professional opinion, would you rather watch a real dancer give you instructions or a poorly rendered 3D dancer?

CURIOUS. Also, Cameron is making a drama with 3D technology. He feels 3D is not about the whiz-bang-boom kind of movies only. It is a new element that can help all films. In fact, as I showed you recently, the next STEP UP will be in 3D. Anything and everything can appropriately utilize 3D.

Miss Mary said...

ya- i definitely think that watching live action is better. a 3D computer rendering can prove helpful or interesting for teaching purposes more than anything. also it could be great to use for experimentation... some moves may be realllly tricky and only occur in the mind and aren't explicable unless a choreographer is able to show a rendering if what it could look like if it were executed.

in regards to step up, i think dance sequences more than make sense to be shot in 3D... much like action movies make sense to be shot in 3D. not so sure about comedies or dramas though. :-/ would the added $ it takes to shoot something like "Knocked Up" be worth making that movie 3D? i'm not convinced... but i could definitely be wrong. :-)

unstablelandscape said...

hello,
my name is marlon barrios solano.
I invite you to check dance-tech.net.
It is social network with more than 400 international members that worl in the intersection of motion, new media and science.
http://www.dance-tech.net
There you will find tons of videos dance and movement artist working with digital and other kinds of technology.
http://www.dance-tech.net/profiles/blog/show?id=1462368%3ABlogPost%3A9986
http://www.dance-tech.net/video/video/show?id=1462368:Video:20562
http://www.dance-tech.net/video/video/show?id=1462368%3AVideo%3A11971
cheers!
Marlon
PS: I am base in NYC!